Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rustic Spinach and Cornmeal Soup


Today I found out that the Shelf Reliance Q-Pon for November is for Cornmeal, so I thought I would try out a new recipe using cornmeal, since the only recipe I thought of on my own was cornbread.  I found a recipe on my epicurious app and you can check it out, along with reviews here:  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Rustic-Spinach-and-Cornmeal-Soup-361331?mbid=ipapp

What I want to do today is just mark up this recipe with the modifications I made to use Thrive food.

Rustic Spinach and Cornmeal Soup
6 8 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
3/4 cup polenta (coarse cornmeal) Thrive Cornmeal
3 tablespoons all purpose flour Thrive Whole Wheat Flour
3 tablespoons butter Thrive Butter Powder
2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
Coarse kosher salt
8 ounces baby spinach leaves 1cup Thrive Chopped Spinach - Freeze Dried

Ingredient Info: Polenta is sold at some supermarkets and at natural foods stores and Italian markets. If unavailable, substitute an equal amount of regular yellow cornmeal and cook about half as long. (I did cook for about half as long, but that was mostly because I was getting very hungry)

Bring 6 cups broth to simmer in large saucepan; cover to keep warm. Whisk polenta and flour in heavy large pot. Add 1 cup hot broth; whisk over medium-high heat until smooth. Stir in butter and garlic; sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. Gradually add 5 cups hot broth by cupfuls. Boil gently over medium heat until polenta is tender and soup is creamy and thickened, whisking frequently and adding more broth to thin, if desired, about 25 minutes. Stir in spinach by handfuls; simmer until wilted, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes longer. Season with more coarse salt and black pepper.
Ladle soup into 6 bowls and serve.

We really enjoyed this soup, it was hearty and warm, and had the feel of a cream soup without all the fat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment